Few fun facts about Iceland
- A research at the University of Iceland, in 2007, showed that about 62% of respondents believed that elves might well exist.
- Iceland has no army, navy or air force, and is among the most peaceful nations in the world.
- The first nation in the world to have a political party consisting of only women (1983).
- The first nation in the world to have a democratically elected female president (1980-1996).
- Iceland has had 6 volcanic eruptions since 2000.
- Beer was illegal in Iceland until 1989.
- Iceland´s last major was an actor and a comedian, Jón Gnarr. Jón formed a party to make a joke about politics, but received 34,7% of the vote.
- The humbled Guðni Th. Jóhannesson was a docent in history at the University of Iceland, until he became the president of Iceland, August 1st, 2016. During his first week in power he visited home for the retarded, and was the first president in the world to speak publicly on Gay Pride, the cultural and human rights festival of gay people.
- The first nation in the world to have openly gay Prime Minister, Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir (2009-2013).
equal rights, eyjafjallajökull, gay pride, gay prime minister, guðni th. jóhannesson, jóhanna sigurðardóttir, jón gnarr, major, politics, president, president of iceland, volcanic eruptions0